Monday 17 April 2017

A letter to America

Dear Dream Land!!!

Whenever, in my varsity years, I eared air planes mightily droning to the sky, I always dreamt someday it would take me to you; “The Land of Dreams ".  Like hundreds of youth in my country, I myself decided to get locked in the jaws of world's super power ' The United States of America.'  Fortune tailored the tides to fit in the size of my sea vast dreams and with a commendable score in TOEL, I swiftly robbed scholarship in one of the renowned universities. My stamped visa was the very first, to unlatch the door to the atlas of my dream land. Then the moment finally arrived and I stepped to the threshold of my fantasy Dream Land: Florida. Its ingress cornered by thick boulevards sung the song of American Dream coined by James Truslow Adams in 1931, "life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement" regardless of social class or circumstances of birth. The subways narrated me the story of America’s Declaration of Independence and I firmly clung to the belief that I being an immigrant was going to sip deluge of “liberty, Peace and Pursuit of Happiness” which always attracted me magnetically toward the country.

Days went by, and America started to unveil Her in front of me. It bared her chest and I realised behind those robotic- alleys, highly-lit streets and technologically advanced mechanised buildings, she was as raw and charred as an Orient woman. The scholarship which only the cream students in Pakistan earn was in other words "Aid”, a kind of charity to buy talented brains like me. The truth of belonging to a "Poor country" and a student studying on “Aid and Funds” shattered down my inner pride. To my surprise, the freedom only lived in museums and was as paralysed as “Statue of Liberty” which even can't save herself from pattering needles of meek rain droplets. My scarf was mocked, my sense of styling was bullied and I was sniffed by bulldogs for making sure I carried no explosives.  Racism gulped me down like hurricane does with cotton fields. I started suffocating while breathing the air of Democracy with all its legitimate trappings to ensure rights of minorities The war against this crude Otherness taught me to overlook drunkards stopping by me, snippets sitting close to the rooftop of the building allocated to Asians, a queue of cameras to monitor my movements and yes an invisible steel barricade to limit myself from the native Americans – I overlooked them all despite having countless kicks of this system on my nerves. The culture of peace which the state holds roofed my fears with a garment, which with when I cloaked my feet ,it bared my head and when I managed to cover my feet , it left my head whole naked. I genuinely lost equilibrium of my own identity as nothing was more painful than being treated as a citizen of “Third world” who are labelled as “poor, criminals and terrorists. It is said, for surviving in a battlefield one can even compromise on pork but I was forced to eat delicious cuisine from those hands who have murdered trillions of my ancestors since the time of colonisation till today.
. I have turned into a dystopian xenophobe or an imprisoned bird who is hoping for the future which is never going to dawn as the womb I have selected has never accepted me being its child. In this “Land of Dreams”, the past has been sold to buy a stranded future. On the contrary, I prostrate to “Present” and no deity of this name exist here at your place. It’s time to fix the errors I have committed in Past.


Good Bye Forever….

No comments:

Post a Comment